"Life is a journey, not a destination" -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Life is a journey, not a destination" -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Spain: On the Pursuit of Happiness

I know, I know, I'm so far behind on blogging! It was a priority at first (and still is), but I would rather be out exploring than sitting at a computer. Sorry, I know you are all waiting with bated breath over there on the other side of the Atlantic. So let me back up a couple weeks and review:

How can I describe my love for Spain?
Madrid and Barcelona were both filled with beauty, relaxation, good food, amazing culture,art, music, friends.....basically all the things that combine to create one big pot of happiness

In Madrid, we did a lot of wandering (as I mentioned before), took siesta in the lush Parque del Retiro, ate too many tapas, saw the royal palace, and explored grand churches and shopping districts. My favorite part was probably just sitting in the plazas at night, watching all the Spaniards and tourists hanging out and drinking there. Our hostel was situated right in the heart of the city, near Plaza del Sol, with some al fresco dining right outside our door. Even though Madrid is such a large city, being in a central area made it feel like a small town. We didn't even mind the fact that we couldn't fall asleep at night because people were out in the streets dining and drinking wine on the patios until close to sunrise. The city really doesn't get busy until after midnight, and it doesn't stop til close to 6a.m. We would sit in the plaza til the early hours of the morning, and it would still be packed with people when we left. People here really know how to slow down, enjoy life, relax and not worry about the hour.

Barcelona was amazing in a whole different way. The city has incredible art all throughout the city, with an exceptional influence by Gaudi on nearly every block. His buildings and mosaics are art that you can experience, touch, walk around in, and feel connected to. We saw a few of his most famous buildings and also visited the Parc Güell, which is a park that overlooks the city and is filled with his artwork and influence. Since we stayed with our friend, Fran, in Barcelona, we also spent a lot of time walking around some not-so-touristy parts of the city, sitting in more plazas, and finding hidden gem restaurants with amazing food. Spending time at the various beaches and ports was also a significant (and relaxing) part of our visit. My favorite part of Barcelona was probably an area called Las Ramblas, a wide pedestrian street filled with little shops, cafes, souvenir and flower stands Although it is filled with tourists and not many locals, the area is bustling and filled with energy. It also includes La Boqueria, the largest outdoor fresh food market in the world! (I think) We saw and sampled fresh and local fruit juices, seafood, meats, cheeses, nuts, vegetables, ice cream, candy, empanadas....I could go on. (Behind wandering/walking, the number 2 most frequent thing I've done on this trip is eat, but no regrets. No holding back, only indulging allowed! Thankfully we walk a ton, so I hopefully won't come back and be a blimp!)


I was so sad to leave Spain. So far, it has definitely been my favorite place on this trip, but there's still more to come! I know I'll return to Spain one day, if not to live there, at least to visit and experience the true sense of happiness I found in the culture.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds amazing, and I am so excited to travel with you! I ordered a travel book for South America :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val, your blog is SO great. So I am going to Barcelona in November, I am in the Middle East for break and so I wanted to go to Barcelona for break, do you have any suggestions? Where should I stay? I would really appreciate your help. Thanks SO much!

    ReplyDelete